37th Art Show Opens Saturday
by Mark Kay Hurst/Travis Svihovec
The 37th Annual Mobridge Area Art Show is Saturday and Sunday at Scherr-Howe Event Center from noon to 5 p.m. each day.
Adult and student artwork will be judged. Special exhibitors will have non-judged display booths.
The art show is open to the public with free admission. A freewill offering will be accepted, with the proceeds used to help support and encourage the arts in this area.
The judged competition will feature more than 200 pieces of adult art and photography. The student division will have more than 230 pieces of art and photography done by students grade 6 through 12. Ribbons and cash prizes are given in both divisions.
Adult and student divisions will have many categories for the public to view. The public will also have the opportunity to vote for their favorite artwork and photography for People’s Choice Awards.
Two organizations, PEO and Oahe Area Retired Teachers, have each donated a $20 cash award to be presented to a deserving student. The Arts and Travel club have also donated $25 for a student prize.
Judges for the art show are Nadya Preszler in photography and Peter Kilian in artwork. Both judges are from Aberdeen, S.D., and are on the faculty of the art department at Northern State Univerisity.
Special exhibitors at the art show are:
• Werner Mohr of Hosmer, S.D. He will display his models of machinery and heavy equipment fabricated from maple, cherry, and walnut wood. His display will be Saturday only.
• Daron Krueger of Valley City, N.D., Obsessed Photographers Group, fine art photography of the Midwest. His limited edition prints and canvas wraps will be on display Saturday and Sunday.
• Ray Kelly, Tea, S.D., is a multi-talented South Dakota born and raised artist. He works mostly with graphite and color pencils. He has appeared on television on the Outdoor Life Network. His work will be on display Saturday and Sunday.
• Jaime Harrison-Kreager, Belle Fourche, S.D., grew up in Mobridge. She will display her acrylic paintings Saturday and Sunday. She loves to paint people and animals.
• Mary Lou Landis of Mobridge will display and sell artwork in various mediums and selections of beaded jewelry.
• Mary Kaye Hurst of Mobridge will display her original watercolor and colored pencil artwork.
• Tom Trenton of Mobridge will display and sell his original Sagebrush Art creations.