Marvin Walth, lifetime Bridge Citian dies


Funeral services for Marvin F. Walth, 83, of Mobridge will be at 2 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012, at the New Freedom Baptist Church in Mobridge.
Burial will be at 1 p.m., MDT, Friday at Black Hills National Cemetery under the direction of Kesling Funeral Home of Mobridge.
Marvin passed away Sunday, Aug. 19, 2012 at Mobridge Regional Hospital.
Marvin Walth was born Dec. 12, 1928, to George and Caroline (Eisenman) Walth at the Railroad Hospital in Mobridge.  The first years of his life were spent growing up on a farm 17 miles southeast of Mobridge on the river bottom, about two miles east of what is now Walth Bay. He attended country school five miles southeast of his home.  His brother Ivan was in the eighth grade when Marvin started school, which helped him to learn his way.  When the weather was good, Ivan would pedal a bicycle with Marvin sitting on the handlebars.  George fixed a two-wheel cart and hitched a Shetland pony to it when Marvin had to go alone.  One time coming home as he crossed the prairie, the cart’s wheels became so clogged with gumbo that he only made it half way.  His father had to come looking for him and helped him home. The first winter Marvin attended school he and Ivan had to board with the teacher in the old school building that was made into a place for the teacher to live.
In the fall of 1938, in the heart of the Depression, the family moved closer to Mobridge and Marvin attended the old Lincoln School, which was only one and a half miles away. For the seventh grade he attended Beadle School.  Eighth grade attendance was in the old junior high building and ninth through 12th in the high school, graduating in 1948.
When Marvin was a freshman he began working in the TasTee Bakery for Emil Becker.  He worked from 4 to 10 or until work was completed during the week.  Saturdays there was no baking, but on Sunday work began at 6 a.m. as the bakery had a delivery route early Monday morning. His senior year Marvin had no job as Beckers had sold the bakery.  Then late in his senior year he went to work at the Red Owl Store.  Walt Ross was the manager.
In April of 1951 Marvin received greetings from Uncle Sam and was inducted into the U.S. Army.  His physical was taken at Sioux Falls, then he and others from this area were sent to Fort Lewis, Wash., for evaluation before being sent to basic training.  Basic was completed at Ft. Gordon, Ga., where he was assigned to the Signal Corps.  After 10 days leave he was assigned to Ft.  Monmoth, N.J., for six months. From there he was transferred across the country to Ft. Ord, Calif., where they were unassigned, but while they were there, the 44th Infantry from Illinois was activated.  After six weeks at Ft. Ord they were moved again, this time to Camp Cook, also in California. There they reconditioned the camp, which had been closed, so that the 44th Infantry could train there. While there, they also processed all information for the 44th. They then trained as a unit with the 44th for about six months and closed down the camp again after transferring all equipment to the naval depot at Ventura, Calif. There they boarded ship and traveled up the Pacific Coast to Ft. Lewis, Wash. They arrived there in December of 1952 and Marvin was discharged from there in April of 1953.  Marvin then came back to Mobridge and resumed his job at the Red Owl Store.
In May 1952 Marvin was involved in a serious car accident on a curve west of Mobridge near the Bridge Club. He was hit by a drunken driver, who left the scene of the accident. Some young boys from Mobridge came across the accident, put Marvin in their car and brought him to the hospital.  After several days he was flown by plane to the Veterans Hospital in Sioux Falls.  He was treated and then recuperated there for four months, then again came back to Mobridge to work at the Red Owl Store. In 1956 the Red Owl closed and Marvin went to work for the Citizens Bank of Mobridge where he was employed until his retirement in 1992.
In 1959 Marvin married the love of his life, Helen Klingman of Isabel, who had come to work at the Red Owl Store as an opening was created after Marvin’s accident.  In 1967 Marvin and Helen adopted a son whom they named Larry.
A favorite pastime for Marvin was to go camping with his family.  He was good at making things with his hands and was an avid collector, especially of model cars.
Marvin is survived by his wife of 53 years, Helen; one son, Larry and wife Judy of Minnesota; grandchildren, Travis and Danielle Johnston of Indiana, Amy and Zack Kirkwood of Vermont and Amanda and Bill Harbeson also of Vermont; eight great-grandchildren; one brother, Harley Walth of Nebraska; a sister-in-law, Irene Walth of Mobridge, and special friends, John and Jim Stover.
Preceding him in death are his parents, George and Caroline Walth, and two brothers, Robert and Ivan.

Want to read more?

Click here to subscribe to our online e-edition or click here to have our print edition delivered to your door.


Mobridge Spotlight



News Archive