Bill Meyer wore many hats during his life
Celebration of Life for Siebold “Bill” Meyer, 87, of Mobridge will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, at United Congregational Church in Mobridge.
Burial will be 10 a.m. Saturday at Spring Valley Cemetery in Pollock under the direction of Kesling Funeral Home.
Bill passed away Thursday, Jan. 5, 2012, at Golden LivingCenter in Mobridge after a courageous battle with cancer and other health problems.
Bill was born on Sept. 14, 1924, to Henry and Jessie (DeBore) Meyer of Rock Rapids, Iowa. From 1926 until 1932 the family farmed near Timber Lake before moving to Pollock.
Bill, being the second oldest child, quit school at the age of 14 when his father died, and worked on the family farm helping his mother run the farm and raise a family of seven children.
He married Cleo Olson on Jan. 1, 1946 and they lived on the Smith Ranch near Pollock. Bill purchased the Pollock IHC Implement business in 1953. In 1959 they moved to Mobridge where he became a partner in the Mobridge Livestock Company.
Bill wore many hats during his lifetime career in Pollock and Mobridge and generously used them all. He was a farmer, auctioneer, an implement dealer, real estate appraiser and salesman.
Back in 1977 he was the first to raise potatoes on irrigation in the Pollock area and was know as “the potato man.”
He enjoyed best seeing crops and livestock grow. Bill was also a civic-minded man. He served on the Pollock town board and fire department, the Mobridge School, hospital, and rodeo boards.
Bill is survived by two sons, Darwin (Mary) Meyer, Leigh (Debbie) Meyer; one daughter, Jaci (Rocco) Konop; his grandchildren, Michelle (Jeff) Wright, Garrett (Melissa) Meyer, Seth Meyer, Georgia and Jack Konop; his great grandchildren, Ryan and Macy Wright; one brother, Vernon (Priscilla) Meyer; and one sister, Sylvia (Ron) Smithgall.
Preceding Bill in death were his wife, parents, four brothers, Peter, Henry, Harold, Virtus and one sister, Elizabeth.
In lieu of flowers the family prefers memorials in Bill’s memory be made to the Mobridge Library or the Klein Museum.